About the Bilingual Authorization for Spanish
Teacher Preparation Program candidates and current Teachers can earn a Bilingual Authorization in one term. This online program is available for all current California credentialed K12 teachers who demonstrate fluency in Spanish.
The Bilingual Authorization demonstrates UC Merced Extension’s awareness, sensitivity, and responsiveness in addressing diversity in our classrooms. Our Teacher Preparation Program Values Cultural Responsivity and is committed to meeting the needs of our diverse TK-12 learning communities throughout California.
Earning your BCLAD demonstrates your knowledge and skill in providing access and equity to bicultural and bilingual students to meet the dire need for Culturally Responsive Educators that can work with multilingual students and provide equity and access to learning in their classroom.
This authorization was developed in consultation with local school district leaders and districts that are developing or expanding their dual-language programs.
The program is available online only.
- Meet the Bilingual Authorization standards
- Emphasize knowledge, skills and abilities in language, literacy and culture needed in the dual language instructional environment
You must hold a current Preliminary or Clear Multiple Subject Credential, Single Subject Credential, or Education Specialist Credential to apply for the Bilingual Authorization in Spanish. Also, the credential holder must also meet the requirements for English Learner Authorization or Cross-Cultural, Language, and Academic Development (CLAD), which authorizes instruction to English Learners.
1. Credential Program Application: All candidates must submit an online credential program application, along with a nonrefundable $100 application fee.
2. Valid Credential: Please provide your valid California teaching or services credential document number. English learner authorization is required either as part of your valid credential or by CLAD Certificate.
3. Interview: An interview with our Bilingual Added Authorization Coordinator or the instructor will be scheduled to determine your Spanish proficiency, once your completed application has been reviewed and meets all the requirements.
4. Language Proficiency: Documentation of the passage of CSET LOTE III (147) in Spanish is required for admission.
PLEASE NOTE: If you are currently admitted to the UC Merced Traditional Single Subject and Multiple Subject Program, you may request concurrent enrollment in the Bilingual Added Authorization Program. CSET LOTE must be passed prior to the final semester of clinical practice (EDUCX 302/305).
CURRICULUM AND CSET:
- EDUC X310: Bilingual & Bicultural Teaching (3 units)
- EDUC X430: Historical and Sociocultural Overview of the Spanish Fluent World (3 units)
- 20 Hours of Bilingual Field Experience (required for BLA Certification): Can be met in one or multiple ways. Please check in with the Course Instructor for details. Admission must be granted to speak with the instructor.
- CSET Spanish Subtest III (Exam 147)
Only UC Merced courses listed here are acceptable; other UC Merced courses will not be considered for substitutions. All coursework must meet the catalog requirement of not being older than five years after the completion of the program.
The BLA program is $1,190 ($595 per course).
Summer 2024 | May 1, 2024
Fall 2024 | July 15, 2024
Financial Aid is not applicable for this authorization. Cost does not include the required CSET testing.