THE NSED MINOR PATHWAY
The Natural Sciences Education Minor (NSED) is a partner program that will accelerate your completion time and save up to $8,500 on TPP program tuition. And, you don’t have to be a science major! This option allows you to take several classes that are required for your teaching credential. You will also gain over 60 hours of experience in an elementary, middle, or high school classroom. This minor is a total of 24 units.
If you completed the NSED minor or applicable NSED courses, your Teacher Preparation Program Course of Study will be adjusted upon admission to the program.
This pathway requires traditional student teaching over the course of a fall and spring semester.
UC MERCED NSED MINOR UNDERGRADUATE TRACK REQUIREMENTS
Lower-division Introduction to Teaching Elementary School Science or Math Seminar and Fieldwork (2 Units)
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- Hold a bachelor's degree in any subject from UC Merced
- Satisfy the basic skills requirement
- Meet subject matter competence
- Obtain Certificate of Clearance from the CTC
NSED PATHWAY SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
Successful completion of the NSED minor will allow you to complete the program in under one year while saving on tuition. If you do not complete the NSED minor, selected NSED courses successfully completed can still be applied towards the program requirements
You must have earned a grade of B- or higher for these courses to be applied to the Teacher Preparation Program:
NSED 100 - Project-Based Instruction: Assessment and Management for beginning Teachers
NSED 120 - Classroom Interactions in Science and Mathematics: A focus on Equity in Urban and Rural Schools
NSED 130 – Technology in Education
NSED 150 - Research Methods in Education
CURRENT UC MERCED UNDERGRADUATES
- Contact CalTeach today to learn more about the NSED Pathway.
UC MERCED GRADUATES WITH NSED MINOR
- When you apply to the TPP program, you will check off the "Have you completed the NSED minor?" checkbox. If you did not complete the NSED Minor, please contact us to discuss before applying.