Skip to content


If you have questions that are not listed below, please contact us at

Are Intern Pathway classes virtual or in person?

Our classes are offered as either in-person or virtual for the regular spring and fall semesters. For summer session, all the classes are virtual.

Available credentials you offer in your program?

We currently offer:

  • Multiple Subject Credentials allow you to teach in a self-contained classroom for TK-8th grades.
  • Single Subject Credential: English, Social Science, Math and Science for grades 7-12.
    • Single Subject English

    • Single Subject Social Sciences
    • Single Subject Foundational-Level Math
    • Single Subject Mathematics
    • Single Subject Foundational General Science
    • Single Subject Science: Biological Science, Chemistry, Geosciences, Physics
    • Note: We currently do not offer the Spanish Credential

We do not currently offer any Master Credentials.

Can NSED Minor participants possibly finish this program in less than a year?

It is possible that NSED minor participants could finish the program in less than a year. You can learn more about the NSED pathway here: UC Merced NSED Minor

Do I have to have a degree in education to qualify for the program?

No, you can hold your bachelor's from an accredited institution in any subject to be considered for our credential program. To prove subject matter competency, a candidate will need to pass the appropriate CSETs.

Do you have to do the complete program if you already have a special ed credential and have been teaching for almost 20 years?

Education Specialist Credentials and Multiple Subject Credentials are two separate programs with their own requirements set by the state of California.  We can of course utilize a lot of your completed coursework and experience to grant equivalencies in our program, but there are some things that cannot be waived.  

Do you offer Special Ed or Bilingual Credentials (Authorization)?

We are currently offering the Bilingual Added Authorization that will allow teachers to work in a bilingual class or dual language academy. To review the program admissions requirements and apply, please visit Bilingual Authorization - Spanish.

We do not currently offer a Special Education Credential Program.

Be sure to follow us on Facebook for special program developments and announcements.

Do you recommend getting a master degree? What are some pros?

Earning your masters could allow you to move into other areas in education, such as administration, but it is not a requirement in teaching K12.

Does the preservice work need to be completed to start the Intern program?

Please schedule an apointment so that we can give you individualized attention to walk you through the process.

For a student who completed the NSED minor at UC Merced how many semesters does it typically take them to complete the program?

Students who successfully complete the NSED Minor can complete the program in two terms with full-time study. Typically, it will take fall, spring, and summer terms to complete.

For online courses for the Traditional Track. are the classes all online or it it half online and half in-person?

All of our summer classes are online, and for the Fall and Spring semesters, you have the option to choose either distance or in-person modalities.

How do we submit proof for fieldwork hours completed with the NSED program?

You will need to provide your completed this Prior Experience Verification Form and list all the NSED courses you've taken. Upon graduating, your official UC Merced transcripts will demonstrate you successfully completed the fieldwork hours.

How do you become an intern during the program?

The Intern Track Option allows you to complete your teacher preparation work while teaching on an Intern Credential. The Teacher Preparation Program prepares you for but will not find employment for you; you must seek this on your own.

Typically, you enter this pathway if you are currently in a paid teaching position (on a Provisional Intern Permit or a Short-Term Staff Permit) or if you have been offered one. While in the program and completing courses and assessments, you will move into Internship status as soon as you are eligible. To view eligibility requirements, visit Intern Track Options.

How long is the Teacher Preparation Program?

You can earn your teaching credential in one year with full-time study, assessments, and verified clinical practice. (Fall, Spring and Summer)

I attended the online information session and have some questions. Who do I contact?

You can email us here at You can also call or text us at 209-349-2354 during our normal office hours of Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

I currently don’t have legal status but would like to get a teaching degree. Would I be able to do that or should I wait until after I get my legal status? I am currently finishing the last of my community college classes.

We can definitely talk you through what's required. Please schedule an appointment with us, and keep in touch so that we can guide you through the process.

I have not yet taken the CSET. Are there any sites or books you recommend to study for it?
Provider Website Subjects Available
Commission on Teacher Credentialing CTC Exams All
Teachers Test Prep Teachers Test Prep Multiple Subjects/Mathematics/Science/English/Social Science/Writing
Mometrix Test Preparation Test Prep Review free Multiple Subjects/Writing Skills/Most Single Subjects


CSET Study Guides (Books and Worksheets)

Provider Title
Barron's CSET California Subject Matter Examinations for Teachers: Multiple Subjects
CliffsNotes CSET Multiple Subjects | CSET Social Science | CSET Mathematics
Princeton Review Cracking the CSET (CSET Multiple Subjects | CSET Writing Skills)
Mometrix Test Preparation CSET Exam Secrets Study Guide CSET Secrets Study Guide
I will be graduating with my BA this fall. To apply for the spring, do I need to have a copy of my degree or will unofficial transcripts be okay?

We will need your degree posted to your transcripts for both admission and Financial Aid.  

I'm currently attending UC Merced. Will completing the NSED Minor help me get accepted into the credential program?

The NSED minor and the TPP are partner programs. There are four courses in the NSED minor that allow you to finish sooner with less expense. You must have earned a grade of B- or higher for these courses to be applied to the Teacher Preparation Program:

  • NSED 100 - Project-Based Instruction: Assessment and Management for Beginning Teachers 
  • NSED 120 - Classroom Interactions in Science and Mathematics: A focus on Equity in Urban and Rural Schools
  • NSED 130 – Technology in Education
  • NSED 150 - Research Methods in Education
If I have already been fingerprinted, do I need to do it again?

If you received a document issued by the Commission on Teacher Credentialing (i.e., substitute permit, provisional intern permit, etc.) as a result of your fingerprinting and background check and your document is valid, then you do not need to go through this process again. If you were fingerprinted for any other purpose, you will need to get a current live scan service and complete the Certificate of Clearance process. Review directions to obtain a Certificate of Clearance here: Fingerprint Information.

If I intern with an alternative education school site, can I still be part of your program?

We need further information on the particular school you are referencing to ensure that it is an approved public school setting by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. You can email us at or call us at 209.349.2354.

Is Financial Aid available?

Financial aid is available if you qualify. Scholarship opportunities are also available. Learn more about financial aid and how to apply here Financial Aid at UC Merced.

The UC Merced School FAFSA Code is 041271.

Is there a program available for candidates interested in teaching special education?

Not at this immediate time, but there are plans to add this in the future.

To apply for financial aid, what is the school code for your program? Will it be UC Merced’s school code?

The UC Merced School FAFSA Code is 041271.

What is an average starting salary for public school teachers in this general area? Will a masters degree increase your pay or opportunities?

Salaries are categorized by a few factors such as ADA - average daily attendance, elementary, high school or unified school districts. The most recent breakouts can be found here as a general guideline:

What is Clinical practice and how does it work?

Clinical practice, also known as "student teaching", allows candidates to learn from experienced educators in the classroom under their support and guidance needed to become effective educators. Candidates are evaluated against Teaching Performance Expectations (TPEs). Clinical practice can be completed at any public school that meets the CTC's approval. We survey our candidates and do our best to place you where you want to be.

For more information about clinical practice, visit Clinical Practice or email us at

What is the Constitution Exam and what are the prerequisites?

Students who have not met the Constitution requirement in their undergraduate degree will need to meet this requirement in our program.  The easiest way is through an assessment online. To review listings of the US Constitution courses and online assessments, please visit US Constitution Credential Course Equivalency.

What is the Credential Program Application deadline for the spring, summer and fall semesters?

Our application deadlines are posted here Dates & Deadlines. We highly recommend that you get your application in as early as possible.

What is the distance radius in terms of Clinical Practice placement?

We try our best to get our candidates placed in clinical practice as close as possible to their location of choice. However, many logistics go into place to ensure we have good partnerships with multiple school districts in various regions. If you have a specific area in mind, you can email us at or call us at 209.349.2354.

What is the email address for questions about program requirements?

Please email us at, and we will respond within 3 business days.

What is the entrance GPA requirement?

The GPA requirement for those applying to the Credential program is 3.0 cumulative GPA.

If your GPA is below 3.0, you can submit the Admission by Exception form to petition your request. This form will need to be submitted after you submit your application for the term you wish to apply. Please email the completed form to

What prerequisite courses are required for admission into the credential program?

There are no prerequisite courses required for admission.

What's the difference between the CSETs and CBEST?

The California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) includes tests covering reading, math, and writing skills, and is taken before acceptance into the Teacher Preparation Program.

The California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) tests individual subject knowledge.            

  • Required CSETs for the Multiple Subject Teaching Credential are listed here.        
  • Required CSETs for the Single Subject Teaching Credential are listed here.   

Candidates have different options for meeting the subject matter requirement. The list of options can be found here Assembly Bill 130: Availability of New Options to. Meet the Subject Matter and the Basics Skills Requirements (



Professional Licensure and Certification Disclosure

University of California programs for professions that require licensure or certification are intended to prepare the student for California licensure and certification requirements. Admission into programs for professions that require licensure and certification does not guarantee that students will obtain a license or certificate. Licensure and certification requirements are set by agencies that are not controlled by or affiliated with the University of California and licensure and certification requirements can change at any time.

The University of California has not determined whether its programs meet other states’ educational or professional requirements for licensure and certification. Students planning to pursue licensure or certification in other states are responsible for determining whether, if they complete a University of California program, they will meet their state’s requirements for licensure or certification. This disclosure is made pursuant to 34 CFR §668.43(a)(5)(v)(C).

Additional information is available by visiting the University of California | Office of the President and the California Department of Education.


The Teacher Preparation Program is approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC).

On August 6, 2021, The Commission on Teacher Credentialing granted full institutional approval to the University of California, Merced.